Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Before getting into the list of universities in Zambia that offer pharmacy courses, let’s explore the pharma industry and its emergence in Zambia regarding the demand and scope for the individuals with a diploma in pharmacy course.
Pharmacy is a diverse and gratifying profession in the healthcare segment. It involves in-depth knowledge about all aspects of medicine, working closely with pharmaceutical researchers, medical personnel, and patients. Pharmacists continually are placed atop the list of most-trusted professionals. Thus, being a pharmacist is a whole lot of responsibility than just dealing with dispensing pills. It is a crucial and trustworthy profession that extends into various segments of healthcare.
Pursuing a pharmacy course in Zambia is the recommended qualification to excel in the pharmaceutical industry. Usually, the diploma in pharmacy program is designed to impart knowledge on complete drug and medical expertise.
Why Should One Pursue a Pharmacy Course in Zambia?
Upon successful completion of Grade 12, the immediate question is what to pursue next? If one’s interest is in the healthcare sector, then giving a shot at the pharmacy course in Zambia is an excellent option. It is a good way to start a career in healthcare. Moreover, muckraking about choosing from pharmacy schools in Zambia is crucial. Go through the pharmacy schools in Zambia that offer a diploma in pharmacy course with the best benefits for students to access lucrative career paths. Pharmacists who pass out fruitfully from the pharmacy schools can explore better opportunities in the sector.
- Demand: The USA is the world’s largest pharmaceutical market. Nevertheless, the Zambia pharmaceutical market is also equally enhanced globally. European nations like the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Poland, and Russia benefit from a great Zambia pharmaceutical market. In addition to that, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, South Africa, Egypt, and Nigeria also enjoy the most prolific Zambia Pharmaceutical market.
Pfizer, Zambia Pharmaceutical Enterprises, Pharma Product Manufacturing, and Sanofi-Aventis Zambia are among the industry’s top players. Zambia pharma market is attracting many investors and those who are interested in buying shares. Many critical business decisions are being taken by pharma industries to tap Zambia’s market potential. Hence, the scope is excellent for Grade 12 students looking to pursue a diploma in pharmacy program.
- Salary: Taking up a diploma in pharmacy course from one of the reputed pharmacy schools in Zambia opens ample opportunities. A pharmacist’s job is considered among the top 10 most in-demand jobs in Southern Africa. Zambia also has a great demand for pharmacists. Finding jobs for those who pursue pharmacy courses in Zambia is also easy. When the aspirants meet the required qualifications for jobs in the pharmaceutical field lets them earn high salaries. Since the demand for pharmacists is high in African countries, salary is also competitive.
- Potential Career Growth: Career growth is exponential in the pharma sector. Some of the widespread career prospects are as follows:
- Community Pharmacy
- Hospital Pharmacy/Clinical Pharmacy: Pharmacists work in several settings like Ambulatory Care, Critical Care, Cardiology, Emergency Medicine, HIV Pharmacy, Geriatrics, Infectious Pharmacy, Nephrology, Nuclear, Internal Pharmacy, Nutrition Support, Palliative Care/Pain Management, Oncology, Pediatrics, Psychiatric, Pharmacotherapy, Organ Transplantation, Toxicology, etc.
- Industrial Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Industry
- Academic Pharmacy
- Forensic Pharmacy
- Veterinary Pharmacy
- Regulatory Pharmacy
- Nuclear Pharmacy
And the list goes on. Further career scope includes undertaking a bachelor’s and master’s degrees in pharmacy after a diploma course. It opens opportunities to enter clinical research.
- Job Security: Pharmacists can attain a strong career path after pharmacy graduation. Compared with developed countries where pharmacists handle a variety of products, those in Africa concentrate on dispensing medication. Pharmacists with needed education qualifications also manufacture, control, and prescribe drugs. Pharmacists who complete their pharmacy courses in Zambia are considered valued healthcare professionals in Africa. So, the job is secure and invariably, a long-standing job.
- Job Satisfaction: The work of a pharmacist is well respected and appreciated. Moreover, public trust in pharmacists and visit them first during illness and ailments. Pharmacists enjoy a good salary and promotional opportunities at the workspace. Serving people and ensuring the health aspect of a community is in good shape provides the utmost satisfaction.
According to a survey by the Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacy, 80% of the respondents believed that being a pharmacist has a good future. About 52.1% of the community pharmacists pointed out that they earn a good salary.
Universities in Zambia That Offer Pharmacy Course
There are pharmacy schools in Zambia. Here are the top 5 universities in Zambia that offer pharmacy course are tabulated below.
|No.||Best Pharmacy Schools in Zambia||City||Sector|
|1||University of Zambia||Lusaka||Public|
|2||Texila American University||Lusaka||Private|
|4||Lusaka Apex Medical University||Lusaka||Private|
|5||Livingstone International University||Lusaka||Private|
Source: Course Eye
Essential Qualities to Be Considered While Choosing a Pharmacy School
Many pharmacy schools have been established nowadays than ever before. Picking the best college to pursue pharmacy school can be a bit tricky. Here are a few checkpoints that one might consider before choosing a pharmacy school in Zambia.
- Set clear goals: If your interest revolves around working in a hospital or a clinic, go ahead. Check with the past students or alumni to get a better picture of the universities in Zambia that offer pharmacy. If that is fine with working in a rural health sector or travel overseas from Africa, check if the course lets you do that.
- Accelerated course completion: This means that one can enter and exit course faster. Classes might be continual without any summer breaks with long hours of study to move on quickly. There may not be many extra-curricular activities in accelerated schools. It is suitable for those who wish to complete the degree soon to move on to bigger things. Otherwise, a regular diploma in pharmacy program is the best.
- Fee structure: Pharmacy schools are expensive, but most universities in Zambia that offer pharmacy have the best, flexible fee structure. Usually, tuition within the state is economical than out of the state. The financial component is crucial; however, going with expensive options must be weighed for its pros and cons.
- Further Educational Opportunities: After your diploma course, you can continue your studies by taking up a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy continued by a master of pharmacy with various specializations that include but not limited to: Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics, Industrial Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, And the list goes on. Or you can take up a master of business administration in pharmaceutical management. If you wish to further your career, you can take up a research program (a PhD in nursing).
- Campus environment: Albeit the challenges involved in a pharmacy course, it is a general view that diplomats had quite a lot of fun. Thus, the most crucial consideration for your university is the campus environment. Every university has a different vibe, and it must suit your mindset. Having a diversity of students can increase your exposure and build useful networks. Check out the school’s potential through credible sources like websites and alumni bodies. Be sure to ask what the school can offer.
Why Should Students Choose Texila American University for Their Diploma in Pharmacy Course?
Texila American University (TAU) is one of the recognized universities in Zambia that offers pharmacy. However, the diploma in pharmacy course from TAU has been considered as the best for its curriculum, course structure developed on latest pedagogy trends (60% theoretical & 40% Practical), and flexible payment options.
The faculty is well-trained and experienced and can guide the students to outshine as pharmacists. Students graduating from TAU are equipped to enter the pharma industry and earn well. The eligibility criteria stand for students who have passed Grade 12 with5 Credits or better, four of which must be in English, Mathematics, Biology/Agricultural Science, and Physics/Chemistry to take up this lucrative career path.
In order to create a successful, long-standing career in pharmacy then one should choose TAU. It has diverse students, best-in-class education, guidance, and a great campus in Zambia. The school that provides a pharmacy course in Zambia ascertains that diplomats get the best training and career opportunities.