Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Become a Public Health Professional in Just 4 Years
“Public Health” is a vast domain. It is not limited to the clinical setting alone. It is usual for most people to think of public health as maintaining clean roads, comfort stations, food quality control, and operating hospitals. You might not know that public health extends to other areas also. It includes pollution control, preventing diseases, promoting vaccination, emergency preparedness, and even preventing violence against women within family settings. In calamities such as a cyclone strike, flood, or a pandemic like Covid, the first to respond is the country’s public health system.
Almost all countries worldwide, including Zambia in Africa, Europe, the USA, and Asian countries such as India and China, spend a good part of their national budget on public health endeavors. Governments focus on public health because it improves the quality of life of their citizens. Countries that spend more money on public health generally have higher longevity for citizens, good economic performance, and lesser crimes.
With governments and not-for-profit organizations taking a keen interest in public health projects, people are increasingly taking to a career path in this field for its opportunities. Zambian citizens can use the vast options in public health projects worldwide to improve their economic advancement.
Worldwide Job Opportunities for Zambians with a BSC Public Health Degree
Governments worldwide, including Zambia, offer good opportunities for public health professionals. You find a job in Zambia or an African country without much difficulty. If you are more enterprising, you can lookout for a public health professional job in countries like Australia, New Zealand, or the USA. European countries such as Switzerland, France, the UK, and the Netherlands are great places to work as public health professionals.
Public service-minded people can find a job in a not-for-profit organization and travel around the world. This professional has limitless opportunities for those who are service-minded. The fun fact is it will also enhance your lifestyle and economic condition.
Here is a brief work description for aspiring public health professionals.
Health and Safety Engineers
- Safety at workplace
- Ensure standards are met as per law
- Provide training to lower-level staff
- Implement standards and procedures
- Work as a technical resource center
- Eradicate risks at the workplace
- Investigate causes of accidents
- Prepare reports for the Management
- Track all progress regarding safety
- Determine methodology for data collection
- Conduct field survey about groundwater level and soil
- The author reports and participates in seminars
- Develop new technologies related to the environment
- Report to government and distribute research findings
- Help in the development of machinery and equipment
- Implement good practices and methods
Emergency Management Professional
If you have a BSC in Public Health, you are an ideal person for joining disaster management teams (government or NGO). Displease think that your services will be required only at the time of a pandemic, flood, or hurricane. Emergency management professionals work round the year to ensure smooth operations during disasters.
It will be the duty of emergency management professionals to train people for different situations and work out a fail-proof strategy. They plan, procure the right kind of equipment, and create a fit force of men and women. Training will include physical fitness and proper skills with machinery and equipment.
All you need to enter the public health service is a bachelor’s degree in Public Health. The BSC Public Health program is offered at the College of Public Health in Zambia. It takes four years to complete the program. At the end of the program, you will have learned all the skills, knowledge, and abilities to excel in a public health job.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health Programs in Zambia
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health is also known as BSC Public Health or Bachelor of Public Health in Zambia and many other parts of the world. The program is a combination of several modules consisting of theory and practical. Upon completing the program, candidates can choose to join the Master of Public Health Program to advance their knowledge in a particular specialty.
To enroll for Bachelor’s Degree in Health, you will need the following qualifications. It is better to enquire before you apply for the program.
- 5 O-level credits or higher, with one each in English and Mathematics
- 3-year Diploma in appropriate specialty from a recognized institution or university
- 2-year Diploma in relevant thing from a recognized institution or university with three years of work experience
** A 6-month certificate program followed by an 18-month diploma in a related specialization from a recognized university with three years of work experience in a relevant sector. This type of qualification will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Program Duration of Bachelor of Public Health
Students have to spend four years at the college to complete the BSC in Public Health. Each year of the program is divided into two semesters. The entire program will consist of 8 semesters. The syllabus for each semester is preset, and there may be a slight difference between different institutions and universities. Overall, you won’t see any significant difference, however.
Here is a brief idea of what students will learn each semester.
- The first semester will consist of biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, and human anatomy & physiology.
- The second semester will consist of principles of public health, public health, health promotion and education, and law and ethics in public health practice.
- The first semester will consist of public health policy and practice, biostatics basics, and epidemiology basics.
- The second semester will consist of the basics of Social and Behavioral Health; health systems research;
- The first semester will consist of health and disease, health systems research, and Public Health Informatics. Information systems & Management.
- The second semester will consist of Food Technology, Nutrition and Health; Water supply and management systems; and field attachment.
- The first semester will consist of family health & demography, maternal and child health, and Health Management & Health Resource Development.
- The second semester will consist of Health Economics, Health Care Finance, and Project work.
After completion of a bachelor’s degree in Public Health, students will have gained technical and professional knowledge and the ability to interact with others related to the profession. They will have all the basic skills expected of a public health professional. Students will not only be able to perform as public health officials in Zambia but also abroad.
The Main Objectives of the Bachelor of Public Health Program are as below.
- Equip the students to understand the basics of public health
- Determine the factors that influence public health
- Use the proper methods to research public health
A career in public health is a satisfying profession, and many governments and organizations worldwide invest money in it. It is one of the biggest employers worldwide and offers practicing public health professionals to travel around the world.
As a Zambian citizen, if you aspire to see the world without spending a dollar, you should start today.
Contact the institution that offers a bachelor’s Degree in Public Health today itself for a great and satisfying career.