Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Public health in Africa is not a problem that can be mitigated or eliminated by one person or even a group of people. We need to implement sound solutions created via multidisciplinary approaches. As a result, public health professionals worldwide work in varying career fields, such as emergency responders, law enforcement, elected officials, and health care administrators. Every MPH degree-professional contributes to the benefit of the community in a different way.
In Africa, public health is stumbling. According to current statistics, Lesotho encounters 16 HIV cases in every 1,000 people; maternal mortality is 1150 in 100,000 women and many more such issues. Contrary to this, the healthcare worker density goes as low as 0.16 for 10,000 people in Malawi.
Keeping the above statistics in mind, various public health breakthroughs are required in public policy, healthcare, and education. For this reason, an MPH degree in Africa offers multiple Master’s in Public Health opportunities. This article has explored various job roles that you can assume after completing an MPH degree.
Understanding Master’s in Public Health Degree
A Master’s in Public Health degree is curated to help graduate professionals enhancing the health markers of populations worldwide. It is a skill-based program that offers you knowledge and understanding of multiple disciplines of public health.
In other words, MPH degree extracts your commitment and will to help people to nurture your skills, knowledge, and understanding of public health.
However, it is necessary to understand that an MPH degree goes way beyond the traditional and age-old view of community health and wellbeing. Professionals in this field get involved in the environmental, social, and economic health of the population. Therefore, a Master’s in Public Health helps you focus on broader public health problems.
Here are some examples:
- Social isolation
- Health access issues
- Trauma and violence
- Lack of healthcare access
- Lack of nutrition
- No food security
With an MPH degree, you understand problems that affect communities, which encourages you to influence factors to mitigate these challenges through healthcare policies, services, educational sessions, partnerships, research, etc.
Job Opportunities After an MPH Degree in Africa
There are plenty of Masters of Public Health opportunities available across africa. You can work as a public health professional in pharmaceuticals, business, science, technology, etc…
To know jobs for Masters in Public Health, read on:
In the public health domain, leaders require factual data for decisions and prominent actions. Unless biostatisticians are there to tell them about the data, this unprocessed data is useless. Suppose you are someone who wants to enter the public health industry, and you also love statistics. In that case, this is a perfect job opportunity for you.
In fact, with government and non-profits collecting more and more information and user data every day, you can utilize your professional skills in analyzing, interpreting, and managing this data. You can extract valuable information from these datasets.
Within a community or the entire population, there’s a pattern of disease movement. As an epidemiologist, you will study this process. These MPH degree professionals understand the spread of the disease to reduce or slow down the progression. During a pandemic, such as the COVID-19 we are facing currently, epidemiologists explore and find medical data necessary for treatment and vaccinations.
Some of the questions that an epidemiologist can answer are:
- Will the disease continue to spread in a region?
- How long before we can see a dip?
- Why is a specific age group more susceptible?
3. Public Health Educator
Public health educators assume the role of informing the community or public of health issues. They assist populations in protecting themselves, take care of their families, and reduce the community spread of disease. For example, AIDS/HIV awareness in a community through educational brochures, flyers, etc.
Every day, public health educators make some difference in the way people responsibly act in relevance to their health. Eventually, this leads to a wide-level community change.
Researchers are people who have an emergent need to help and nurture populations. Some of these individuals become firefighters, and others become emergency medical professionals. Many of these people enter research to mitigate crises in public health. These individuals utilize their power to research and use hypotheses to find scientific details related to a condition or disease.
However, you can become a researcher while you are still a biostatistician or epidemiologist.
5. Policy Adviser
Whether we talk about the government of non-profits, these institutes need policy advisors to help them with regulations, laws, and policies imposed on the public. Some of these policies impact the public on a broad level. Understanding the impact and advising for appropriate policy creation is an important role played by a policy advisor.
Many patients and community members suffer from mental issues, addiction, disorders, or behavioral issues. Public health counselors have undergone training to help these patients overcome hardships. A counselor allows these individuals to open up and receive treatment for an underlying problem. It ultimately leads to better job placement, improved quality of life, etc.
7. Health and Safety Engineer
After an MPH degree, you can become a health and safety engineer who helps manufacture equipment, machinery, and other systems that help prevent or treat health issues.
Overall, the major work of a health and safety engineer includes ensuring safety in factories, equipment, and building. They will analyze hazards and health regulations to understand associated possible accidents.
Based on this understanding, these professionals suggest safety precautions and suggestions.
Some Reasons to Pursue Master’s in Public Health Degree
Why Master’s in Public Health?
After exploring various jobs in Master’s in Public Health, we are ready to resolve your curiosity. Here are some prominent reasons to pursue an MPH degree:
- Suppose you are a person who deeply cares about working for the community or underprivileged population. In that case, a Master’s degree in Public Health is a good choice. It presents multiple career opportunities in roles that involve helping and caring for disadvantaged communities and groups.
- Along with impacting several lives, you will get higher pay. There’s a shortage of public health professionals in Africa, which is why a Master’s in Public Health scope is amazing in research, project management, education, and other fields.
- As already discussed, you get various Master’s in Public Health opportunities. You can become a biostatistician, counselor, researcher, etc.
- Professionals with a Bachelor’s degree in Public Health can easily pursue an MPH course online. For this Master’s in Public Health degree, you don’t need to move to another country or leave your current career. You can get various opportunities for career advancement.
- Lastly, you will not get bored. From economic issues to viruses that can impact the world, there’s much to work on in this field. The latest tech developments, discoveries, and community transformation only increase the focus on the wellbeing of humans.
Pursuing Master’s in Public Health Degree from Texila American University
Where can you do a Master’s in Public Health?
A Master’s in Public Health degree from Texila American University is designed to ensure that students are capable of creating a healthier environment in their society.
We prepare our students to understand, analyze, and lay the groundwork for a healthier tomorrow. MPH degree course nurtures applicants to make a healthier environment in communities and populations. We help applicants create a better, healthier future for upcoming generations.
Eligibility for the Course
Who can do a Master’s in Public Health from Texila American University? Here are the eligibility criteria:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health or Health-Related Professions Such as Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Environmental Health, and Bio-Medical Sciences
- Other Relevant Qualifications Such as Social Work, Demography, and Health Education May Also Be Considered.
Benefits of Choosing TAU
Texila American University provides various innovative solutions to students:
- With TAU, you can learn about infectious diseases, chronic illnesses, food insecurity, obesity, health issues, etc. TAU designed this program to help you analyze and understand various factors that impact future health.
- TAU is the best university that offers blended learning programs including public health. The degree offered recognized internationally.
- TAU offers the MPH degree to students at an affordable cost with a flexible payment plans. Your charges of commute and re-locating are mitigated.
- The MPH degree course is prepared according to international standards.
- Every student is assigned with a Student mentor in order to help them with dissertation, research, and learning.
- TAU maintains and updates an online resource for study materials. All our students can utilize this online repository without any hassle.
A Master’s in Public Health degree helps professionals progress their careers, assume various job roles, and grab multiple opportunities.