Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery is a medical degree from UK medical schools. Countries worldwide have adopted this naming practice. MD is an undergraduate medical degree awarded by North American universities. MBBS, MBChB, and MD are equivalent degrees. A career in medicine offers high pay, options to explore diverse streams, and constant demand for qualified medical professionals. Developments in technology have revolutionized healthcare and related medical technologies. Organizations are investing in developing breakthrough medical technologies. Medical professionals get to work with the latest technologies and constantly need to stay updated. TAU-Zambia is the best medical school to study MBChB. Its academic curriculum is comprehensive, with practical training and clinical rotations at leading hospitals.
- Benefits of pursuing a Bachelor of medicine and surgery:
- Advancements in the medical sector and medical technologies:
- Are you excited and looking forward to pursuing a career in medicine?
- Eligibility to join Bachelor of medicine and surgery:
- Academic Curriculum:
- Career Opportunities:
- Key Takeaways:
You might have several reasons to pursue medicine, a desire to make a difference in people’s lives, a personal calling, earn respect, or financial gains. Whatever the reasons, a career in medicine is inspiring and requires focus and commitment.
MBChB has its origins in Latin word “Medicinae Baccalaureus et Baccalaureus Chirurgiaedegree”. Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB) is a five-year program in medical science and surgery. It trains and prepares you with clinical, medicinal, and research skills for pursuing a career in any field of medicine.
If you are a student aspiring to study medicine, you might have come across various terms MBChB, MBBS, and MD? What do they mean? You might be confused about which degree to pursue? While Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery is a medical degree from UK medical schools. Many countries the world over have adopted this naming convention MBBS or MBChB. A Doctor of Medicine (MD) is an undergraduate medical degree awarded by North American universities. They are equivalent and differ just in name and traditions.
MD also refers to a higher doctorate or postgraduate degree in medicine in certain countries where MBBS or MBChB is the undergraduate degree.
Benefits of pursuing a Bachelor of medicine and surgery:
1) A career in medicine improves your employability chances. It offers a broad spectrum with over 60 specialties.
2) Get to work in clinics, hospitals, healthcare facilities, and research labs, or opt for a career in the academics, economic, legal, or government sectors.
3) The functioning of the human body is intriguing. It offers immense scope for research in case you are curious and looking for new learnings and cures to ailments. Your studies will make you understand the inner workings of the brain, heart, kidneys, etc.
4) Being ill and getting hospitalized can be traumatic people might get anxious; you need to deal with patients and relatives to discuss the diagnosis and treatment options. It can be positively rewarding to revive your patients’ health and see them recover.
5) With the increasing population and health threats, the need for qualified and well-trained professionals is rising day by day. In addition to being in demand, they are also highly compensated for the rigorous work hours.
Study at the best medical school and experience a fulfilling career.
Advancements in the medical sector and medical technologies:
Developments in technology have revolutionized the healthcare sector and related medical technologies. The following are some of the breakthrough innovations in the medical field. These inventions show promise, but further studies and clinical trials are required to prove their potential and efficacy in the treatment.
1) mRNA Vaccinology:
mRNA vaccines have helped treat several diseases like cancer and the Zika virus. They are highly effective with immunity-boosting qualities and can be developed quickly at a low cost. This technology helped develop covid-19 vaccines at a faster pace after necessary approvals allowed for public use in less than a year. It illustrates the potential of the vaccine in the treatment of challenging diseases.
2) Treatment for Type 2 diabetes:
According to WHO, approximately 400 million people globally have diabetes causing 1.5 million deaths per annum. The most common is type 2 diabetes. Injectable dual glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) and glucagon-like peptide receptor agonist (GLP-1) to control blood sugar levels are developed to effectively treat diabetes and obesity.
3) Treatment for Postpartum Depression:
Do you know that many cases of postpartum depression are undiagnosed due to ignorance in people? Counseling and antidepressants are not effective in many cases. Injection of neuro-steroids to treat Postpartum depression is expected to show quick results.
4) Medication for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM):
Drugs developed for other heart-related ailments helped treat HCM symptoms for years. A new treatment targets and reduces the HCM condition and improves the quality of life.
5) Treatment for Menopause:
Hot flashes are prevalent in women experiencing menopause. The invention of non-hormonal drugs in the treatment of menopausal symptoms and hot flashes is expected to deliver excellent results.
6) Therapy for prostate cancer:
Prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer in men. PSMA targeted scan, diagnosis and treatment are expected to show remarkable results in prostate cancer therapy.
7) Implants for severe paralysis:
Paralysis can occur due to injury to the brain, spinal cord, nerve, or muscle and severely impacts the overall health of people. Implants to restore voluntary motor impulses will help people and can be life-changing.
Organizations are investing in developing breakthrough medical technologies. Stay updated and get to work with the latest technologies.
- Remote patient monitoring that enables you to monitor your patients from any location
- Digital therapeutics facilitate you to monitor patient wellbeing
- Utilizing Artificial Intelligence and machine learning to evaluate patient data
- State-of-the-art prosthetics
- 5G enabled devices and wearable sensors that help diagnose health
Are you excited and looking forward to pursuing a career in medicine?
If you are interested and looking for the right university to study MBChB, choose Texila American University – Zambia. It is the best medical school.
- Established in 2016, TAU is one of the pioneers in the education field.
- It is ranked as a Tier 1 institution, with a ZQF10 rating, by Zambia Qualifications Authority.
- It offers a broad spectrum of high-quality programs in healthcare and management.
- It has global recognition and several accreditations to its credit.
- State-of-the-art infrastructure and advanced lab facilities.
- With students from several countries around the globe, you get to experience a vibrant campus atmosphere.
Eligibility to join Bachelor of medicine and surgery:
- Foundation entry: ‘O’ level with credit or better in 5 subjects, four of which must be in English, Mathematics, Physics / Chemistry, Biology / Agricultura Science (or)
- Direct Entry into MBChB: ‘A’ level with a minimum pass in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (or)
- A degree or diploma in health science
In addition to academic excellence, students are also assessed based on their personal and extracurricular abilities. A career in medicine is challenging; you should possess excellent physical and emotional fitness to excel in a competitive environment.
TAU’s academic curriculum is comprehensive, with practical training and clinical rotations at leading hospitals. Let’s have a brief look at the courses in medicine and surgery:
|Basic and Applied Human Anatomy and Development|
|Basic and Applied Physiology|
|Medical Biochemistry and Genetics|
|Immunology & General Microbiology|
|Community-Based Education & First Aid|
|Behavioural Science s & Communication Skills in Medical Practice (20 Weeks)|
|Pharmacology & Therapeutics|
|Community-Based Education & Scientific Method|
|Clinical Methods and Skills Lab|
|Internal Medicine I|
|Obstetrics & Gynaecology|
|Paediatrics & Child Health I|
|Communications Skills, Professionalism, & Health Care Ethics|
|Internal Medicine II|
|Forensic Medicine & Medical Jurisprudence|
|Psychiatry & Mental Health|
Clinical rotations are significant as it helps you gain exposure to clinical practice. Experience clinical rotations at leading hospitals in various disciplines will enable you to choose your distinct career pathway.
|Internal Medicine||30 Weeks|
|General Surgery||30 Weeks|
|Obstetrics & Gynaecology||20 Weeks|
|Community Medicine||10 Weeks|
A bachelor’s of medicine and surgery enables you to work as:
- General Physician
- Public Health Journalist
- Forensic Medical Examiner
- Public Health Professional
- Medical Research Professional
Scope for further education after Bachelor’s of medicine and surgery:
You can opt to do master’s in public health, molecular medicine, clinical physiology, forensic radiography, epidemiology or biomedical science.
You can get anxious trying to choose a career path because of its significance in your life. Your career choice needn’t be about something you have a passion for; it has to be something that does not make you lose interest or have regrets later. Care should be taken because of the amount of time and cost involved in pursuing a career in medicine.
Start your unique and rewarding career in medicine with Texila American University!