Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Once you decide to study medicine, the next thing you will be thinking about is the cost and the country. You need to think of several factors before deciding on the country. Texila American University in Zambia is the best place to study medicine. The cost of living in Zambia and course fees are affordable. Since the demand for healthcare professionals is more, it offers numerous job opportunities. TAU offers world-class infrastructure, a globally recognized curriculum, and overseas career options. With similar disease patterns, it also provides a safe and secure environment for international students.
When you decide to study medicine abroad (MBChB), numerous factors might pose a question. From the cost of the program to the country where you would want to spend a good number of foundation years, studying.
It is important to consider a few things that will leave a lasting impact on your career. One of them is the country in which you would pursue your medical studies. From the status of medical education in the country to the opportunities it offers for medical practise, everything counts.
If you are one of the many medical aspirants, read on to know how to choose a country to study medicine abroad. To begin with, let us understand the status of the medical sector, both educational and professional, in the thriving African Continent.
The Medical Sector in Africa
The stable economic growth in the African continent, especially in sub-Saharan Africa, has allowed the expansion of the medical sector. There is an increased demand for medical specialists in both government and private sectors, with an aim to provide better quality health care service.
Similarly, the medical education sector in Africa has progressed to meet the demands of the continent. The Southern African countries, especially, have witnessed a change in the educational curriculum. Medical Universities have become encompassing of the global curriculum, adopted information technology in education and now provide excellent education through highly qualified faculties.
Transformation of African Medical Education System
The US-funded Medical Education Partnership Initiative MEPI initiative has allowed the improvement of medical education in Africa in several ways. It has provided a better curriculum that competes with the global curriculum, increased the intake in medical universities and apart from providing better internet access, it has also introduced advanced technologies. This initiative has also allowed students to access online textbooks anytime.
There are a number of changes that have transformed medical education in sub-Saharan Africa. Some of the most significant changes are as follows:
- The MEPI program invested $130 million dollars over 5 years to increase the quality and quantity of health care workers in the continent.
- Increased enrollment into online courses as a result of the rapid advances in technology is witnessed in southern Africa. Distance learning is becoming widely popular and is being recognized by industries.
- The MEPI initiative has increased the focus on all medical health fields such as emergency medicine, surgery, maternal and child healthcare.
- The provision of better health care facilities in southern African countries has attracted people from neighbouring countries, allowing medical students to practice their theoretical knowledge.
- A focus on chronic health diseases has attracted scholars who are passionate about research in this area of health sciences.
So How To Choose A Country To Study Medicine Abroad?
If you have decided to study medicine abroad and are wondering which country to choose, then the points mentioned below must become your guidelines!
- Medical Curriculum & Recognition – The pattern of the medical curriculum differs slightly in every country. Some countries have interesting interdisciplinary programs that will allow you to gain additional specializations. However, you need to make sure that the degree is recognized in your home country.
- Climatic Conditions – Choosing a country with a similar climate to your home country makes you feel at home to a greater extent.
- Eligibility Criteria – Some countries have relaxed policies for students. The age limit, pass percentage of previous study degree and language competency is quite relaxed.
- Demand for Health Care Professionals – To study medicine abroad involves investing a great time. Choosing a country with a high demand for medical professionals allows you to practice while you study.
- Disease Pattern – When you opt to become a doctor, you are willing to serve the people to make a better world. Hence studying in a country with the same disease pattern as your native country, allows you to continue your practice anywhere, abroad or native, without any disruption.
Why African students should consider TAU – Zambia for Medical Education?
An African student willing to study abroad has several advantages, ranging from global exposure to improved career opportunities. However, going to the USA or Western countries for studies may cost them a fortune. Texila American University which is located in Zambia provides almost the same exposure and opportunities you could get from the Western world. The opportunities are:
- Lower Cost of Living– The greatest pro is that the cost of living in countries like Zambia is very low. This allows you to save money while you get educated in a curriculum recognized globally.
- Increased Opportunities- Since developing countries like Zambia are in need of health care professionals, they are opening their doors to new students and researchers.
- World-Class Infrastructure– Texila American University has technology-enabled classrooms, world-class labs & infrastructure along with International Faculty trained from USA, Europe, Asia & Africa.
- Globally Recognized Curriculum– Medical universities also function as health care centers within the country to allow students to gain practical experience as they learn.
- Overseas Career Options: TAU provides inbuilt training for the US Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) and UK Medical Licensing Exam (PLAB) as part of the curriculum. These training programs help students to practice medicine in countries like USA and UK after they graduate from Texila American University.
- Same Disease Pattern– Since the disease pattern is very similar across the entire continent the student finds it easier to practice the acquired knowledge.
- Home Away From Home– Since students stay away from home for a longer time to pursue their medical education, Texila American University provides a friendly culture in the campus and make the place feel safe for the students.
Choosing a country to study abroad in might be difficult. But when universities like Texila American University offer world-class medical education in a friendly country like Zambia, the decision becomes only easier.